Earlier this month, the Greeley-Weld County Airport unveiled the winners for their ‘Art of Flight’ student art competition. Weld County students worked with their art teachers to create pieces following the competition’s theme of “The Art of Flight.” The contest was open to K-12 students and there were first, second, and third place winners from three different grade categories. The winning students, along with their teachers were given cash awards, and the winning artworks were professionally framed by Doug’s Hang Up and will be on display in the Greeley-Weld County Airport’s administration hallway for the next year. (GXY airport is open 6am-8pm daily.)
Judges for the art show included Sandi Elder, Mike Freeman, Ed Rodgers, Armando Silva, and Mandy Longstreth.
“It was such a pleasure to work with the students, teachers, schools and community for the first annual Art of Flight competition. It gives us a chance to make a difference in our young people and in their future…if at the least to plant a seed. To place in their minds that there are so many possibilities in both art and flight. It was truly a joy!”
-Mandy Longstreth, Greeley-Weld County Airport
Congratulations to the winners!
- 1st Place – Sophie Clem, 10th grade, Highland High School
- 2nd Place – Kendra Myers, 11th grade, Greeley Central High School
- 3rd Place – Katie Fromm, 12th grade, Greeley West High School
- 1st Place – Verania Montes, 8th grade, Milliken Middle School
- 2nd Place – Briana Torres, 7th grade, Salida del Sol Middle School
- 3rd Place – Jackelin Rodriquez, 8th grade, Highland Middle School
- 1st Place – Lindsey Stocker, 2nd grade, Trinity Lutheran Elementary
- 2nd Place – Karson Rash, 4th grade, Ann K Heiman Elementary
- 3rd Place – Jackson Anderson, 4th grade, Winograd Elementary
So, the next time you’re on the east side of town, swing by the Greeley-Weld County Airport and you can see nine works of art created by Weld County Students. (If you’re hungry, it might be a good excuse to make a stop at the Barnstormer too.)