2018 Greeley Día de los Muertos: Life’s Journey Never Ends
Día de los Muertos, also known as “Day of the Dead” is a beloved Mesoamérican holiday that celebrates the memories of ancestors and deceased family members much like a joyful family reunion. The holiday, typically celebrated in Mexico on November 1 and 2, will be celebrated in Greeley on Saturday, November 3 (But there will events and activities happening between October 19 through November 7.)
This second inaugural Día de Los Muertos celebration in Greeley will recognize the historical, intellectual, cultural, and demographic significance of the Latina/o population. Throughout Greeley, artists and community members will create traditional as well as innovative altar displays, skeleton art, sugar skulls, and much more–to honor the memory of their deceased loved ones. This effort is organized by the Greeley Creative District. (See the full schedule of events below.)Greeley Día de Los Muertos Facebook Event
Saturday, November 3
- 9 a.m. to Noon: Face Painting, food displays, and vendors at the Greeley Farmers’ Market
- 3 to 5 p.m: Skull decorating, Altar exhibit, food, entertainment, costume contest, and processional at Aims Community College’s Cornerstone Conference Center. (Click for full schedule)
- 6 to 8 p.m.: Día de los Muertos reception, an exhibit of altars and artwork, face painting, and light refreshments at the Tointon Gallery.
October 19th through November 3rd
Experience the Tointon Gallery’s Día de los Muertos exhibit of altars and other artwork. The Tointon Gallery is open Monday through Saturday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 651 10th Avenue.
November 1st through 7th
There are numerous Día events at High Plains Library Branches where you can add to a community altar, learn about Día, watch a movie, create crafts, listen to stories, watch demonstrations, and enjoy food and music. Visit MyLibrary.us for more information.
- Nov. 1 – Dia de Los Muertos – Riverside
- Nov. 1 – Dia de Los Muertos – Farr
- Nov. 3 – Dia de Los Muertos – Lincoln Park
- Nov. 3 – Dia de Los Muertos – Centennial Park
- Nov. 3 – Greeley Día de Los Muertos ~ “Life’s Journey Never Ends”
A few other Día-related events happening this year: